American Millennials: Cultivating the Next Generation of Ocean Conservationists – The David and Lucile Packard Foundation
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation partnered with Edge Research to conduct new research on American Millennials’ attitudes towards oceans, ocean conservation, and pathways for engaging this next generation of ocean leaders. This is required reading for organizations that are trying to reach out to millennials.
Here are some key points from the study:
- Social media is key for engaging – digital is gateway to reality
- Animal welfare is a top cause and a recurring theme in research: Animals are an emotional link to the ocean
- Pollution is the most widely recognized and urgent issue
- Fewer than 1 in 10 prioritize overfishing or too few protected areas
- Speak to hearts and minds by utilizing entry points: Protecting marine animals and habitat, and trash – problems to tackle collectively
Follow the above link to read more in their executive summary and full report.